On Saturday, September 23rd UAH hosted their 10th annual Girls’ Science and Engineering Day for 3rd – 5th grade girls. Members of the Huntsville Branch, Rachel Finch, Lori Visone, Alex Lopez-Rogina, and Rachel Bolton, organized and led a workshop on civil engineering titled “How Civil Are You?”. At the beginning of each session very few girls had ever heard of civil engineering. With an excellent video provided by the ASCE National Society and hands-on activities crafted by our volunteers, the girls learned all about the fun and versatile profession.
Watching ASCE’s “What Do Civil Engineers Do?“
Rachel Bolton & Rachel Finch leading the girls in a critical thinking activity for transportation design
Lori Visone teaching the girls about different types of pollution and how they reach the river
Representations of Pollution:
Soil runoff, trash, gasoline, fertilizer, dog poop, herbicide, acid rain, antifreeze, & “mystery liquid”
Testing filters designed by the girls with “polluted river water”
Comparing different filter deisgns
Last week ASCE Huntsville got the opportunity to participate in a two-day career fair hosted by the Huntsville/Madison County Chamber of Commerce. Thousands of high school juniors and seniors from Huntsville City, Madison City, and Madison County schools attended looking to gain insight into local career opportunities and their associated educational pathways. Our volunteers (shown below) got to talk with students about civil engineering, and answer questions about what different types of civil engineers do.
John Corbell, P.E. & Mathew Pinkston
Rachel Bolton & Barbara Lehman
We would like to thank the ASCE Pre-College Outreach department for providing outreach supplies to help promote civil engineering. Having this quality resource made planning for the event a breeze!
1. Voting is EASY!
2. Go to http://www.asce.org/votenow.
3. Use your ASCE member login and password (click the links if you need assistance).
4. Follow the instructions to vote and submit your ballot.
– Information on the Nominees can be found on the electronic http://www.asce.org/votenow or the ASCE http://www.asce.org/elections/.
– The ballot includes a Constitutional Amendment to increase the size of the Board to allow the third Technical Region Director to have a vote at the table.
– Dues must have been paid by April 1, 2017 to be eligible to vote.
– Students and Affiliate Members are not eligible to vote.
– The election will close at 5:00pm Central Daylight Time on June 1, 2017.
– Members who prefer to vote using a paper ballot may contact email@example.com and request that one be mailed.